Monday, January 31, 2005

Mystery Girl

We had the Cathedral Duals on Saturday... I met alot of interesting people, but I keep thinking about one of them... I guess I had a little crush *Blushes... and yet feels kinda stupid a the same time* They're fun to have sometimes!!! I know I'm gonna get shit for this... but oh well...

Mystery Girl
(It's LONG!!!)

Today was just supposed to be another day... just like any other... a time to duel... and test my strength and my skills... Little did I know what waited for me on that fateful winter day. I arrived... late as usual... expecting a scolding from my coach. Walking towards my team, feeling embarrassed for missing the bus. Turns out they completely forgot about me... Slightly agitated by my team’s negligence, I shrugged off the thought and waited for the rest of the team to come up from weigh-ins. I explained to my younger team-mates how this whole tournament worked... and as I spoke, I thought about this tournament in the years passed... I won my first match here... that was a momentous day... just like today would turn out to be... Our coach walked out of the locker room and proceeded towards us. As he ascended the bleachers I told him about forgetting me. He laughed about it, and continued up the stairs. He then came toward us, the JV’s, and the people who pretty much came to watch. He then began to explain an “All-Star” team that was being formed due to a team dropping out. He then asked for people to sign up. I raised my hand, thinking what the hell... I’ve got to see where I stand next year. He got the other 4 people’s names and proceeded into the coaches meeting. For the next hour or so we waited, playfully exchanging laughs and insults as any team would do. Coach came back... and huddles the JV’s together. He told us again about this “All-Star” team that was forming. He also gave us the names of those who made the team. Myself, and two others were chosen to be on this team. I was happy, and yet somewhat disappointed for the same reason. I would get to wrestle some varsity matches, and yet I would probably get my ass kicked. I sucked it up... in fact; I dismissed the thought of losing. I would do well today! The team got up and proceeded to one of the eight mats on the gymnasium floor. We sat down for a while, getting as much relaxation as we could before we would begin. We then warmed up for a brief period. I and my two companions proceeded to the mat where our “teammates” were. We introduced ourselves, shook hands, and acted as anyone would have in our situation. That’s when things changed, that’s when I began to learn a very valuable lesson. That’s when I saw her... She was small... actually she was our 103 pounder I would find out later. Looking at her singlet, I noticed she was from Duanesburg, a team I remembered facing the previous year. I was curious... there was something about her that I couldn’t quite put a word to. I dismissed the thought and began focusing on the match. The national anthem was played, and then the tournament began. Our first opponent would be Agawam. I was quite optimistic, considering I was surrounded by a motley crew of junior varsity wrestlers, 3 of whom (we’ll two if you don’t count myself) I had seen wrestle before. I was confident that we would, if not win, at least have a chance at getting some points. They asked for the captains, and we we’re confused, the team then decided to send out the two home wrestlers, they shook hands and the meet began. The mystery girl stepped onto the mat. I was worried; I had seen only a few girls wrestle before, and their performances were usually very sub-par. The referee blew a whistle and the match began. A coach from another team came to talk to his 3 wrestlers who made the team, and being at the right/wrong place at the time. He ended up being our coach. For the next 5 minutes I watched this match. Trying to figure out what it was I saw in this lightweight. From the beginning of the match she seemed confident... not cocky, but determined. Near the end, she turned her kid over and boom, she pinned him. We cheered, our spirits bolstered by the victory. The match continued and I sat and talked with my friend. We talked about the really good moves and wins, and discussed strategies with our makeshift “coach”. She then sat down next to me. I congratulated her, and she accepted my compliment. She seemed focused more on her teams match going on behind us. I thought for a moment... and looked at her... What was I doing? She was from some random school in New York! I knew nothing about her, what was I... some kind of stalker or something? I shook my head and wiped the little attraction I had from my head. The meet continued and we came close, and then fell behind. It got to the point where we had no chance of winning, but I still cheered on my teammates though. Finally it got to me, I knew that Agawam didn’t have a heavyweight, so I didn’t warm up.... much. I took off my warm-ups, donned the straps of my singlet and buckled my headgear. I walked onto the mat and the ref raised my hand... figures. My own team had finished already so I walked back up to our little loft on top of the bleachers. We talked; some of the guys asked me about my match. I told them about the forfeit I got, and they laughed. Not much really happened in between the meet. I talked again with my friend about this little “All-Star” team we had. The topic then came to my mystery 103 girl. She was really good for someone who was clearly under 103, let alone a girl. For a moment I thought again about that little spark. We continued with our little game of insults and inquiries, and once again it was time to begin. Our second opponent was Cathedral, the tournament’s home team. We warmed up and were ready again. This time we huddled up and decided to choose some captains for our little team. I was chosen for this task. I stepped onto the mat, shook the hands of the captains in front of me. The coin flipped, and the choice was given to Cathedral. We lost the toss again I thought. I sighed when they called the odd matches, knowing I would have a tough opponent in the upcoming meet. I sat down and expected you know who to show up... yet for some reason, she didn’t walk onto the mat. It turns out our coach put in another of her teammates to make the team. The match continued... and as my thoughts focused on my opponent, I couldn’t help but slip into distraction. How was my team doing? Was I ready for my match? And again with this mystery girl... who was she? And what the hell am I so intrigued about? These things slipped in and out of consciousness. The meet went by... and I slowly began to bond with my teammates. We talked about our teams, what we’d done, and just had some fun. It then turned out we won... by a lot too... finally my match came. I wasn’t sure if I was ready, but I tried. I worked hard, yet due to an error, my victory was robbed from me. I won’t forget the referee that screwed me out of my win. Again the matches continued, and ended. My team lost this time... unfortunate this was... yet I was still very happy that my rat tag team managed to beat a varsity lineup! I rested again, feeling nauseous I went outside to catch a breath. I slept for a half-hour, and returned to my team, telling them of my misfortune. They talked with me about it, and praised me for my accomplishments. I’ve improved in the last 3 years... So I’ve been told. Again we rested, and again we returned to the mats. Our next opponent was Farmington. At first I thought we might have a good chance, seeing that their lineup seemed small, however our coach quickly informed me that they were a very good team. I walked onto the mat again, representing my All-Stars, shook their hands, and the coin was tossed. Again we lost the toss, but I didn’t care. The meet began, and there she was again, eager, ready to fight. She stepped into the circle and began her match. This one was a lot harder than before. We were trying to figure out names, so I asked coach for hers, along with a few more of my new friends. Amy was her name... finally my mystery girl had a name. So I shouted and cheered, hoping she would win again! Alas, she didn’t win, but she gave a good fight. She went to her coach, sat down... and I saw sadness in her face. A few matches went by, as I cheered on for my team. Feeling both sympathetic, and curious, I decided to try and make another friend... I sat down next to her... she watched the match, and cheered for my teammate in the circle. Thinking of both something to say, and how stupid I was for doing this. I tried to comfort her in her loss; she didn’t seem too upset anymore. Another new friend decided to join the conversation. We talked for a little while, and as he left, she told us a little about her self... and as he left, I gave her one of my pep-talk speeches, she talked to me about my match. She smiled, got up and walked back to her team. I thought for a while, about my attempt at this new friend of mine... I call these people my friends... Yet I know nothing about them... and many of them, including Amy, I would probably never see again after today. Yet, I still considered them teammates, and friends. I dwelled on this, but I was tired... so I decided to rest. Time rolled by, and it turned out we lost again... big surprise... Yet we still managed to get a few points. I watched my opponent strut around the mat behind them. He was angry, and I had to be ready. Our 215 came out, tried his best, but was pinned. The Heavyweight match came... my turn. I walked onto the mat, ready for what I thought would be harder than my last match. He came at me, and we grappled, but suddenly I saw an opening. BOOM! Head throw, I had him pinned, but I couldn’t keep both his shoulders on the mat. I let him up, and he was MAD. He came at me and elbowed me in the face... yet nothing was called against him. Again I went for my head throw, but I could not run it. I struggled with him. The period ended, and I was given the choice. I chose down, and got into the referee’s position, you know, hands and knees on the mat. He got on top of me, and the whistle blew. He was tough, he kept elbowing my neck... and STILL nothing was called on him, I managed to make it to my feet, and got my escape. We grappled more, and I had to take him down. I could hear voices cheering me on, but I could not make them out. He grabbed me, and I saw my chance. I bear hugged him and tripped him into the mat. He struggled, but not for long. The whistle sounded and the ref hit the mat. Pin! I stood up and got back into my position. The referee raised my hand and I shook their coach’s hand and walked back to my All-Stars. They were all there cheering for me and among the cheering faces, and hands stretched out to slap mine, was little Amy, smiling and clapping. I grabbed all their hands, tired from my match, then I went to my coach. We had just finished OUR duel with Agawam and prevailed. I told him of my success, and he praised me. My mother came up to us, and the two met. Ironically enough they had never met before, he told my mother of how proud he was of me, and how much I had improved in the last few years. I wanted to stay and talk but I was so tired, finally I returned to our loft, with cheering teammates awaiting my arrival. I rested for a long time... I was exhausted... I could feel the pain in my head, from the burns I received. It was time once more to wrestle... I was still very tired from my last match. Ironically enough, my team was to face her team... And my All-Stars were to wrestle Putnam... the team we wrestled those 2 years ago... when I won my first match... Fortunately both matches were in close proximity of each other. So I was able to watch both... in the middle of the meet, Amy sat down next to me. Again we talked, she told me about her wrestling experience, how she was on a women’s wrestling circuit, and the fact that she was only a freshman. I was shocked, she had had the same amount of wrestling experience as I had, funny coincidence, we laughed, and shared some more stories and laughed about the coincidence we had with each other. I realized that I was slowly... and yet foolishly opening my heart... as I have done and failed miserably in the past. I didn’t try and stop it though... it’s fun to have a little crush every now and then. Our match continued, and it turned out we were going to win against Putnam too! I found this very entertaining, and again it was my time to wrestle. My match came and went... I lost in double overtime, but I put up a good fight, and this time, I had my own teammates, as well as my all stars cheering me on. In the end... I was on my back... desperately trying not to get pinned... and I succeeded, but he won... I stood up, and humbly accepted my loss... I walked off the mat, and my team again congratulated me... I said my goodbyes to a few of our departing teammates, and went back to watch our match... Weight by weight the meet went by, as Amy and I exchanged glances, smiling, and returning to the match at hand. It came down to the last match... Our heavyweight, my mentor... so to speak..., against theirs. This match would be tough, I knew because I wrestled this man last year... and was pinned somewhat quickly... He gave it his best... but he could not win... and so we lost... again humble in our defeat... I stood up and began to shake hands with Duanesburg. Person by person came by, I felt anxious knowing what to expect in a few moments... and there she was... and there we were... for a moment time froze and I my spirits were high in this grim situation... she smiled at me... and for once it was my turn to smile back... “Nice match... you wrestled hard” she said... as she reached for my hand I grasped it... and shook it firmly... not knowing what to say... the only think I could utter was “thanks!” I realized that I had made a friend this day... knowing that in that amount of time it would be lost... I got out of the line and waited... hoping I’d get to see her again one more time. I waited, but I couldn’t find her. I went to gather my things and get ready to leave... I then came back down from our former loft... and waited one more time... hoping to see her one last time... at least to say goodbye... No sign of her... I ran outside... hoping I wasn’t too late... but I was... she had already left with her team... I sighed... happy that I had made new friends today... yet I was still never able to introduce myself to her... or say goodbye. And so I set out for home... I learned something very dear that day... I realized now what this town has done to me... how I’ve been branded, and ignored, hazed, and harassed throughout the years... and while things have settled down... and slowly they open their arms to The Crimson Dreamer... they are still hesitant... and my chances of finding another here are slim to none... Yet now I know... I could make so many friends... in such a short amount of time, and yet struggle for years to find just one in this place... that out in the world... that I will not be alone... that I will find my love... and that it will not be the struggle I have dreamt it would be... someday... Her name still echoes in my head... but as I write this... her face falls from my thoughts... and as I piece it together... I will slowly forget it... as time withers it away... I hope that I may see her again... I like seeing old friends... It will be interesting to see how she, and how they will have grown in the year to come... Too any who may read my thoughts above... It was fun to be a part of this team... and while we probably won’t remember each other by the time the next Northeast Duals comes around... maybe we will meet again... and while most of, (hopefully all of ) us won’t be “All-stars” anymore... It would warm my heart to see you again... Long Live the Northeast All-Stars!


No comments: